Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My friend who is observant walked from a hotel to a wedding in 90 degree weather, and couldn't take off his suit jacket, because it was the Sabbath.

That's a good example of why I could never be Orthodox. Inarguable suffering in order to more properly celebrate the alleged Day of Rest seems to take the neshama right out of Shabbat to me.
================================

keeping the clothes on in hot weather is not a Torahnic mitzvah, it's just a custom. if he had taken off his coat, he would not have sinned.

and there is a large group of observant Jews generally known as 'modern orthodox' who keep kosher, keep the Sabbath, and are generally as observant as those who dress in ancient east European garb.

but they dress more modernly, many do not wear payot or have beards, and the women genrally do not wear wigs. so, there is still an orthodox path for you!

d v
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.