Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to France next year. My question for all of you is: Will I still be able to make contributions towards my Roth IRA? If not, what are some other long-term investment vehicles that I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Welcome to the Motley Fool!

I beleive you have to have 'earned income.' That means you have to have a w-2 or some kind of proof of income in order to contribute to a Roth. If you are still working for a US company, and assigned to work overseas, you can probably still qualify.

Because I'm not very well educated in this department, I'd suggest you post a follow up question in the Tax Strategies board. You can get there by typing the board name in center space of the navigational bar below and hitting 'enter.'

We also have a 'Fools Living Outside the USA' board where you can ask follow up questions, although it doesn't appear to active.

Good luck! Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen

Special of the Day:
The Motley Fool Money Guide:

Print the post  


TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.