Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My guess is that the odds favor neither state finding this error. So waiting for a contact from one state or the other is likely to be a very long wait indeed.

I would wait until you get the NY refund before filing the amended return with them - just to make sure there isn't something else on your return that caught their immediate attention. (Not very likely, but you never know.)

For MI, they will probably be fine with you paying a "stupidity" tax and leaving the return alone. But to amend NY, you'll need to put together a corrected MI return that figures out the correct amount of MI tax. And if you've done that, you may as well file it and get the few bucks back from MI.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.