Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
My high school in Texas* offered only Latin or Spanish as foreign language classes-----CNC

Latin was the only foreign language offered in the high school in my very rural, very isolated Appalachian community. I took two years of it. I was in Latin class when we heard that JFK had been assassinated. That was the first time I remember hearing Sanctum excrementum.

I struggled with other languages, but I had no difficulty with Chaucer in college since many of the older folk in my community still spoke Chaucerian English with the "aitches", the double negatives and the quell for kill and narwe for narrow and all the other long vowels.

Yore, Y hye awye from hoom thare. (Long ago I hurried away from home there.)

tsimi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.