Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
My hospital sent an email out last week saying we should have the vaccine within 4 weeks, with frontline workers taking priority but anticipating offering it to patients by Feb '21. I am cautiously optimistic that my June '21 (rescheduled from June '20) small boat cruise may be able to happen (Uncruise, Alaska).

Living in my N95s until then.

Kristi
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
My 2019 trip has been rescheduled for late June 2020.

That's optimistic. You might want to shoot for 2021.

Even if a vaccine is approved, the first in line will be healthcare workers and first responders. People like you and me (unless you are a healthcare worker?) will have to get in line, and it will take time to produce and distribute a billion doses (i.e. figure the US and Europe will be front of the line). And if it's a two-shot vaccine, that is double the doses required. Even if there is production of vaccines going on NOW in the hopes that one will pass all its trials. That is a "head-start", but in terms of the scale of the human population, it's just a few percent.

And since you're talking "international travel", it's not just you that has to have the vaccine. The people wherever you are headed need it too.
In good news AstraZenica has a vaccine moving towards approval. Vaccine #3. They will sell it at cost $4/shot and it can be stored in a normal refrigerator instead of super freezers.
Our 2021 cruise has been deferred to 2022. I expect we will be vaccinated by 2022.
No. of Recommendations: 3
it's not just you that has to have the vaccine. The people wherever you are headed need it too.
_________________________________________________________________________________

The part I'm concerned about:

If a vaccine is 90% effective (or less), multiply the probability out for a shipful of passengers and all you might meet at the ports along your route. What is the likelihood of COVID cases aboard and what will happen to your trip if it breaks out

Additionally, how do you handle booster shots for COVID over long cruises. No one knows how long protection is likely to be strong and I expect boosters until it is figured out.

Are we certain that US vaccines will be effective against all strains and mutations of COVID-19?

I figure the earliest I would take a cruise with a reasonable level of safety (assuming an understanding of the above and the odds favor it) is 2022.

Damn it!

Jeff
The part I'm concerned about:

If a vaccine is 90% effective (or less), multiply the probability out for a shipful of passengers and all you might meet at the ports along your route. What is the likelihood of COVID cases aboard and what will happen to your trip if it breaks out

When 90% of the passengers and crew are resistant (not immune) to COVID, very little should happen. Cruise ships should start carrying meds for early COVID treatment (which should be better defined in the next year) and COVID tests. It is possible that a or a few passengers might need to be transferred to a hospital which means evacuation insurance would be a good idea. COVID is likely to become endemic and panic about the unknown shouldn't occur.

It was panic that caused the disaster of handling the Diamond Princess. Even with the early COVID infection aboard the Grand Princess, there were hiccups but rather than panic it was handled. Evacuation flights for non-US citizens/residents were arranged. Quarantine was arranged for those staying in the US. At the time, COVID tests weren't available until quarantine was almost over and most declined testing because it would extend quarantine.

Now that COVID testing is possible and when passengers and crew are vaccinated, COVID won't be able to rapidly spread through a cruise ship.

Additionally, how do you handle booster shots for COVID over long cruises. No one knows how long protection is likely to be strong and I expect boosters until it is figured out.

Taking an anti-body test close to when the cruise sails would let you have some confidence in your level of resistance.

I don't know what you consider a long cruise. For a few week long cruise, the antibody test would be useful. Having a love hate relationship with cruising because I get easily seasick, I try to limit cruises to under 10 days. The only exception would be an Antarctic cruise.

Are we certain that US vaccines will be effective against all strains and mutations of COVID-19?

No, it isn't guaranteed. The vaccine targets a specific part for recognition. As long as that doesn't change, the vaccine should remain effective.

I figure the earliest I would take a cruise with a reasonable level of safety (assuming an understanding of the above and the odds favor it) is 2022.

Damn it!

Jeff

Agreed, the cruise we had booked is deferred to 2022. Still prepared to not show up if it isn't safe. It is disappointing that cruising won't be safe for a while. Maybe, late in 2021 when we are vaccinated and vaccination is require for a cruise, we might consider a US based small ship (less than 100 passenger) cruise.
Maybe, late in 2021 when we are vaccinated and vaccination is require for a cruise, we might consider a US based small ship (less than 100 passenger) cruise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of things our government isn't explaining to the public very well (if at all) is, when these companies state they will have 150 million units made by 3 quarter 'sh 2021. I suspect, they are not all going to the USA.

These companies have contracts with other countries all around the world as well, and those countries will be receiving a very large portion of that 150 million (in my opinion). Probably way more then half.

I'm kinda thinkin' 2024+ for the average Joe Blow around the world to have an opportunity to receive a vaccine.

I don't have a source to point you to, this is just my opinion. I hope I am wrong, but that's how I feel it's going to end up rolling out to the masses.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm kinda thinkin' 2024+ for the average Joe Blow around the world to have an opportunity to receive a vaccine.

Around the world but not US

https://www.livescience.com/fauci-coronavirus-vaccine-availa...

Anyone in the general public in the U.S. who wants a vaccine will likely be able to get one within the first four months of 2021, Fauci said. "We're talking probably by April, the end of April."
No. of Recommendations: 0

Around the world but not US
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wasn't able to read the source you referred to. It was either a pay wall or they did not like my add blocker. But I did find some information released by Pfizer. Pfizer stated they are committed to 100 million doses to the US government this year.

That's where I my messed up. I originally thought the 100 million doses by Pfizer was by the end of 2021, not 2020.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Were we just notified that vaccinations in care homes start in 2 weeks. Employees and residents must be vaccinated. Any resident refusing vaccination cannot remain in the home. Any employee refusing vaccination can no longer work there.

A severely disabled in-law is in a foster care home.
My hospital sent an email out last week saying we should have the vaccine within 4 weeks, with frontline workers taking priority but anticipating offering it to patients by Feb '21. I am cautiously optimistic that my June '21 (rescheduled from June '20) small boat cruise may be able to happen (Uncruise, Alaska).

Living in my N95s until then.

Kristi