Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

My hunch is that those are sure signs that something unsustainable is probably going on.

Seems to be sustainable in Japan.

The leading interest rate for the Flat 35 loan was 1.29% in May 2019, which is over double the rate some megabanks are giving their preferred customers for full-term variable rate mortgage loans (the lowest of which is 0.525%).

https://resources.realestate.co.jp/buy/getting-a-variable-ra...

I believe, as always, that Japan is the roadmap for the future. As regards disinflation/deflation, zero interest rates and large permanent government deficits required to keep the economy growing (weakly), Japan is merely ahead of the rest of the developed world by about 2 decades.
The only divergence seems to be in stock market performance. I would really like to know why Japan’s stock market is underperforming.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.