Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I sold a business in 1994 and we held the mortgage. In Jan. of 1999 the new owners went bankrupt and we got the property back. My husband died in March of 1999 and the estate was in a mess. I owed three years back taxes on the property and my only other income stopped for ten months. I managed to rent all the buildings for a period of six months and then that business moved. This year I have only been able to rent one of the (4) buildings for a short time. I have the property up for sale. If I manage to sell the property it will be at a loss. Can I apply that loss against interest income gains from U.S. Savings Bonds?
Thank you for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.