Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My income is foreign earned, so it pretty much all falls under the FEIE. I live overseas all year. I am single. I have no property in USA.

1) I roll my 401K to an IRA and say its value is 30k. I then want to convert my IRA to a ROTH with paying as little of my own money as I can. I believe I can do this over a period of years by using my standard deductions (roughly $5,800 can’t remember the amount) each year. Essentially I use my deductions for the taxes I would have to pay for this conversion. Is this allowed?

Conversion is allowed, but the tax calculation isn't what you think it is. (It used to be, but Congress caught on.) You can see how the tax calculation works on page 40 of the 1040 instructions.

2) Ignoring question 1. As I currently understand it I cannot put money into a ROTH each year because my wages are FEIE and not seen as taxed income. Is this statement true?


Is there a way in which I can put any money into a ROTH?

Move back to the States or make enough money that you have taxable compensation after the FEIE.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.