No. of Recommendations: 2
My income is only $14851 with the $8000.00. Just does not seem right to me. I was not insured and had not choice but to pay the only way I could.

Why is this not a tax deduction? I am real confused! And pretty angry.

See page 19 of IRS Publication 590, and get a new accountant after the old one amends your return without charge, assuming this was your 1999 return. (I assume you told him about the medical expenses.)

You have to include the $8,000 in your income. There's no way around that. However, if you withdrew $8,000 from your IRA and spent $8,000 on unreimbursed medical expenses and your total income was $14,851, only $1,114 of it (7.5% of 8,000) is subject to the premature distribution penalty. Your penalty will be $111, not $800. (If you spent more than $8,000 on medical expenses, the amount of the penalty goes down.)

The penalty exception is reported on Form 5329. Also, unless you file married, filing jointly, you should have itemized deductions on Schedule A.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.