No. of Recommendations: 6
My initial thought was;”why sign up for such a service when there are abundant urgent care facilities available?” One can go these when ever a medical problem arises.
I suppose the answer is that this type of practice means the patient is dealing with a doctor that they have a personal relationship & confidence.

Bingo.

My brother in law is a direct primary care physician, and his experience as a practitioner convinced me to sign up for one here in Virginia.

If you think about how insurance distorts the practice of medicine in this country you'll come to the conclusion that the rational doctor has much more incentive to treat the smoke rather than the fire. This is not an indictment of any one doctor or even the group of them -- but the incentives are what they are.

My doctor is willing to spend as much time with me and my family as we need, there is no rushing, no filling out gobs of forms to justify certain treatments, etc. Just medical care.

This is a recent article that a current med student wrote about my brother in law's practice. I'm not marketing here, and the writing is a little...precious, but it does give a really good view into why this model might be attractive to doctors and patients alike. https://www.studentdoctor.net/2018/10/17/direct-primary-care...

Bill Mann
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.