No. of Recommendations: 1
My interest is as a taxpayer and former parent (kids are in college). I also plan to run for the school board next spring. I was a teacher 3 decades ago and have a number of friends who are local teachers.

I started going through the details of the school finances (which are public record and posted on the district website) when said secretary made a comment in the public portion of a board meeting that some teachers made more than the principals--said with some "attitude". The statement was inaccurate (depends what data you look at and what interpretations you make).

This incident has been followed by a number of similar statements, omissions, and whatnot by a variety of school personnel. The most significant recent statement is that our high school has 95% attendance when it is actually about 83% for funding purposes--a discrepancy worth somewhere between $300K and $500K--between 3 and 7 fully-burdened teachers.

I do NOT believe that anyone involved is evil or doing anything significantly wrong (no criminal intent or negligence). I do believe that our superintendent lacks a well-developed business/financial sense and that our board has forgotten that oversight is part of their job.

Thanks.
Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.