Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My IRA needs to fall somewhere between $0 and $600,000 for retirement at age 60,

Remember that retirement savings can also be in other kinds of accounts. You don't need to have the government's approval to save money for retirement. We like to put capital-gains investments in our taxable accounts.

So, how difficult is it for you to project your retirement expenses? For those of you who are within 1-2 years of retirement, how confident are you with your projections? For those of you who’ve retired in the last few years, did you over-estimate or under-estimate your expenses?

VickiSpouse retired 18 months ago. I entered several years of expenses in Quicken and used the totals to "budget." I thought the big variables would discretionary expenses like vacations. Taxes, health insurance, and college turned out to be the hard things to budget for.

Two of the color kids (Blue, Purple, and Red) are college age this year. Private colleges are price-fixing now, with all of them charging $48K/year.

Taxes are hard to predict because we are still diversifying and getting our investments allocated properly. (VickiSpouse was too busy to deal with this while working and it's taken a while to get him up to speed. It's a major joint decision, so we have to do it together.)

I'm in the process of entering the last year's spending into Quicken to see how we did. Remind me in a month and I'll let you know.

Vickifool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.