No. of Recommendations: 0
My job offers a 457 tax deffered plan,instead of a 401K.I can retire at a young age in 4 more years and collect half of my current yearly salary for the rest of my life.Will it be wise to start contributing to the 457 plan or to a Roth IRA

Hello orsogna,
This depends as, stated in an earlier post, on the choices in your 457 plan I don't think 457's do matching funds particularly when you have a pension and it sounds as if you do. Also will you be in a higher or lower tax bracket when you retire? Higher? go with the Roth and pay the taxes now. Lower? Take the 457 (if the choices are good) and pay the taxes later.

I believe you can't roll over your funds in a 457 plan.I will be 46 in 4 more years and plan on openning my on business

This is currently true, but there is legislation currnetly passed by the house and in review by the senate to change this so you can roll over 457 funds into a traditional IRA. This is the same bill that would raise contribution limits among other things.
Hope this helps.
Bring me a line,
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.