No. of Recommendations: 0
My last 12 months experience with IBM.

In March 2002 I was looking at it to buy. At $106 it seemed still too pricey although down quite a bit from the $120 it was when I first started looking at it.

On April 29th it was at $87.50 so I dipped a toe in and bought some.

On June 19th it had fallen to $74.32 so I doubled up. Hey, this is the bluest of the blue chips and has paid a dividend since 1916.

I then watched in dismay and disbelief over the next few months as it dropped to $68, then $64 then, gasp, $58. Why, I asked myself, did I ever think it was a good idea to invest in the stock market?

On November 21st it was back up to $84 and I closed out my position.

What a wild ride. At the present time I have no position in IBM and no plans for one. If you have the stomach for it jump right in, or hang in there as the case may be.

But if, say, it was back down to $58 I'd be sorely tempted. I'm afraid it'll have to wait until then, however.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.