No. of Recommendations: 3
my last day of work is Friday, and I am quietly thrilled to be getting off the treadmill !

Hey Zenbro. Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your weekend.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've talked to a lot of retired people over the years. Few seem as happy with retirement as I feel. One big problem a lot of people seem to have is how they will get the stimulation and satisfaction they want or need if they are not working with a group of co-workers 40, 50 or 60 hours a week. Finding a hobby doesn't seem to help for many people. They seem to need structure - someone who acts as a boss or someone who acts as a subordinate or someone to praise their efforts or something. If working for adult boy scouts building sheds works for you, then that seems like a pretty healthy thing to do.

After I retired I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity for awhile. I enjoyed the diverse group of people there and found the work satisfying enough, but I tended to overdo physically and hurt my back repeatedly. Plus, one of the reasons I retired is so I didn't have to work to someone else's schedule. I'm not a morning person and never liked getting up early to "punch the clock". But a lot of the people who are critical to Habitat for Humanity successes are retired volunteers - many with serious skills and a strong work ethic even in retirement. I always thought that many of those volunteers were getting something very valuable out of the experience that they personally needed.
They seem to need structure - someone who acts as a boss or someone who acts as a subordinate or someone to praise their efforts or something.

Heh. Am more than happy to fill that roll.

IP
No. of Recommendations: 28
my last day of work is Friday, and I am quietly thrilled to be getting off the treadmill !
I'm being quiet about it because that's the way I am, and I also don't want to rub my coworkers nose in it, as they have quite a few years to go. I will miss a few of them, and I'll stay in touch with a few, but it is time to let that chapter of the book close, lol.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Hey Zenbro. Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your weekend.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
No. of Recommendations: 5
I've been thinking of 'retirement' for a few years. Mostly as a math problem... Current assets and expected returns v ongoing new income to change the frame.

In the end, it's really about living within my/our/your means. I can 'retire' now, with a notable impact on my/our lifestyle. I'm OK with that, she's holding out for more. So I go to work again tomorrow morning... Because I will enjoy more, and because her enjoyment compounds mine.

Carpe diem!
No. of Recommendations: 6
"What to do about lonely older men? Put them to work.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/what-...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just say "No!!!!"

Howie52
Retired and loving it.
No. of Recommendations: 7
What to do about lonely older men? Put them to work.

Last summer, I was part of a group that put in wheelchair ramps for handicapped, and another group that tutored elementary school kids who were "on the bubble" of passing to the next grade. I look forward to being able to put a lot more time into stuff like that once retired.

Last weekend, due to weather and an injury keeping me indoors and immobile, I knocked out an entire book in three sittings. Without 40+ hours working and commuting, I look forward to doing that a lot more often. The library didn't have the book I wanted, so I suggested a purchase and they bought it.

It's hard to imagine having control over my schedule and not having enough to do.
It's hard to imagine having control over my schedule and not having enough to do.

Lack of imagination is a big part of that problem.

DH went to 1 week a month from home on June 1. We are doing lots of fun things...4 hour kayak trips, catching a matinee movie or lunch out, day long hikes up waterfalls and socializing with neighbors, exercising regularly...but mostly at this point he is overwhelmed with how much time is needed to do the things that used to get magically done for him by me while he was at work. Family facilitator was my job, making it easy for him to put in his long hours. I am happy to be part time now too.

Quality of time has gone way up since he "retired." Quantity of free time? Not so much, but I am not complaining.

IP