Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
My memories are not of my sporting past(runner up in a golf tourney in high school).

I look back fondly at the 1976 Montreal Games. My parents took me to the games, and it was a thrill of a lifetime. I got to see the Opening Ceremonies, which were spectacular. Queen Elizabeth opened the games. As for the events we saw a very young Greg Louganis in his first Olympics. We also were in the Forum when Nadia Commenici scored the first 10! Of course I was there to see Olga Korbut, the darling of the Munich games. I remember my mom saying, "She is so cute, but I wish someone would comb her hair." We also attended a fencing event.

A big highlight was a neighor of mine was swimming at the Olympics. He was in the 200m Backstroke. His name was Dan Harrigan. He finished third, winning the Bronze Medal.

After the trip, I was in the hospital for a foot operation, and I remember Dan coming to the hospital to visit me. He brought his medal to show me and gave me an autograph.

No one should ever be disappointed in a Bronze Medal. I remember thinking it was so beautiful. Personally I think it's amazing for any athlete to make it to the games. Winning a medal is gravy.

Charlie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.