Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
INTRO Here's my semi-annual exercise to see if I remember why I own the stocks I own, and so I can check back and see if their stories have changed. I post in case it helps others too.

Real Goods Solar
RSOL (market cap was $0.020B is $0.068B)
Real Goods Solar is predominantly a service company, installing solar power systems in significant states that subsidize solar power: California, Colorado, Vermont (!?). The market is growing. The need is growing. The competitors are doing well. One in particular is trading at a $2.7B market cap, forty times greater than RSOL. Even if their competitor's market cap dropped 50%, that suggests RSOL could rise twenty-fold to meet it.

I am also heartened to see them relaunch the online catalog for DIY. That provides a market regardless of subsidies, and diversifies them into products, which is where they began, as I recall.

Since last year they've more than tripled. From a recent low of $0.40 to a recent high of $7.17 it is obvious that volatility is inherent in RSOL. Volumes have increased more than ten-fold as well, suggesting renewed interest (http://trimbathcreative.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/a-good-week...) in a company and a stock that I think has been 1) overlooked, and 2) besmirched by association with Solyndra when it was noticed.

I think things are changing for the better.

DISCLOSURE LTBH since the mid-2008 IPO. I might buy more if I had sufficient discretionary funds.
My finances are strained by similar stories throughout what I thought was a diversified portfolio. My house may go into foreclosure, and additional sacrifices may be made, including selling stocks I'd rather hold, or even buy. So, if I sell, it will probably be because I have to, not because I want to.
Unfortunately, I may have to sell if I can't find a job or sell my house.
(I've also collected links to the other discussion boards and my other stocks over on my blog http://trimbathcreative.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/semi-annual...)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.