Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
My mother developed Alzheimer's about 7 years after my father died. When she reached the point of not being able to live alone, we found a retirement home for her to live in for as long as she was able to live with that level of structure. This was not an assited care place, just a regular retirement home that served meals and such. She was able to live there for 5 more years, and she had a reasonably decent quality of life during those years. It then became necessary to put her in an Alzheimer's facility, but by that point she didn't know where she was or what was going on, so she didn't seem to mind all the craziness going on around her. Fortunately for her, she soon thereafter developed cancer. She died within the year. From a financial point of view, we sold her house and invested the money, and then used those funds and her other savings to finance her care for the rest of her life. There was money left over in the end. The cost of providing in-home care is prohibitive, and will cut through a ton of money very quickly. In the first few stages of Alzheimer's, many folks (like my mom) can get by so long as they have a lot of structure, like in most normal retirement homes. She made friends, and together they had enough combined sense to take care of themselves and enjoy a few more years of life. Of course, I had to go over there many, many times per week to make this work, but I got to the place where I could keep things running with short trips to straighten out things. There's no good way to handle the issue of Alzheimer's, so good luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.