No. of Recommendations: 6
My mother lives at Rogue Valley Manor http://www.retirement.org/rvm/ (the building to the left of the couple in the picture). Even though there is a golf course (and driving onto the property looks like you are first entering a country club), Mother doesn't golf. However, Mother's time is taken up with water volleyball (she is a team captain, meaning she spends time on the phone getting players lined up to play on her team), quilting, various crafts, reading, taking trips to various plays (mostly in Ashland, with the Manor providing transportation), and going on various tours (a couple years ago she came through here on an Art Galleries of Oregon tour offered through a travel agency that has a presence in the Manor). There are also various speakers, presentations, different types of activities. Mother isn't a gardener, but she will occasionally mosey through the gardening area where residents get plots where they can grow things (flowers, various vegetables, tomatoes, strawberries). Mother doesn't go for board games or card games, but I think she mentioned that her sister does and is also a volunteer in the library in the basement.

Mother doesn't like gardening, so she decided to move into one of the main buildings (the two buildings shown provide meals and health care on their lower floors), but there are also a lot of cottages on the side of the hill where people who want their own detached housing will have their own cottages (complete with yard work if they so desire).

Oh, yes, about once a week Mother will go through the Valueline in the library and look at various stocks and occasionally even buys some companies. She reads some of the Fool research, also, but mostly for gleaning ideas of what to research in Valueline. Unlike me, she tends to not participate on the Fool boards.

When Mother lived in Chico, it was pretty easy to visit her--just call to make sure she was in town, and I would drive down. Now that she lives closer, it is harder to visit her--I have to call to make an appointment to visit because her schedule is quite full, and even then she is likely to have a commitment to play a Water Volleyball game or two during my visit.

Mother did mention one down side: they feed you so well that she gains weight when her children visit--she normally has a piece of toast for breakfast, but when we visit, the only way we get fed is when she joins us in the dining room, and then she eats too well. That could be why there ware weight machines, a swimming pool (with talk of building a second swimming pool) with various pool activities (including physical therapy in the water), dance, walking maps for the properties with distances measured, and some people do compete in a "Walk to New York" or similar challenges where they add up the miles walked until someone has walked the equivalent distance to New York, lawn bowling, jazercise, and probably more physical activities than I am aware of.

I did manage to reach her today by phone and she had returned from a trip to visit her other son and attend a quilting workshop. She still loves it at the Manor (she has been there for several years now). Her sister, who moved in about a year ago, also loves it there even though she also doesn't golf.

But for golfers ... any day there isn't ice on the grass, there are golfers on the grounds.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.