No. of Recommendations: 2
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/02/25/172874102/what-...
What's That Thing Hanging Outside My Bathroom Window? My Neighbor's Drone
<snip>
For $300 — so we're not talking peanuts, but we're not talking $20,000,000 either — you can have your very own spybot! They've been around for more than a year now. Why should the Air Force, the CIA, the police and the border patrol have these things and not the rest of us? This toy, says Joel, who reviews new gadgets for the tech site Gizmodo, is designed for "aviation dabblers who want to look over their neighbors' fences."
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/02/25/172874102/what-......
What's That Thing Hanging Outside My Bathroom Window? My Neighbor's Drone
<snip>
For $300 — so we're not talking peanuts, but we're not talking $20,000,000 either — you can have your very own spybot! They've been around for more than a year now. Why should the Air Force, the CIA, the police and the border patrol have these things and not the rest of us? This toy, says Joel, who reviews new gadgets for the tech site Gizmodo, is designed for "aviation dabblers who want to look over their neighbors' fences."

Drawing your drapes and blinds may not even be a solution. For a few hundred more, you can probably equip your drone with an infra-red camera.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 5
"What's That Thing Hanging Outside My Bathroom Window? My Neighbor's Drone <snip>

---------

If they look in my bathroom window I bet they'd wish they didn't. What they'll see will be a fat old man with droopy skin that looks like a troll, with skin tags under his arms, lumps on his back, and some kind of weird wart on his left eyelid, and bumps on his nose. Not exactly eye candy anymore. Those days are long gone forever.

So I don't think I'm going to worry about it. No one wants to see me naked. Trust me on this one.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<For $300 — so we're not talking peanuts, but we're not talking $20,000,000 either — you can have your very own spybot! They've been around for more than a year now. Why should the Air Force, the CIA, the police and the border patrol have these things and not the rest of us? This toy, says Joel, who reviews new gadgets for the tech site Gizmodo, is designed for "aviation dabblers who want to look over their neighbors' fences."
>>

Paint it black and fly it over political demonstrations. It would probably drive a certain number of paerticipants nuts.

I remember this kind of flyover from anti war demonstrations circa 1966 or so. When demonstartions were held in front of the Seattle Federal Courthouse or Federal Building, it was fairly common for a B-52 to fly directly over the demonsration at an election of perhaps 5,000 feet or so --- very clearly visible for what it was.

Somebody in the US Air Force funnin' with us.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's a disquise that would be fun to wear to some overwrought political demonstration:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=my+favorite+martian&...

Seattle Pioneer
intrecst:""What's That Thing Hanging Outside My Bathroom Window? My Neighbor's Drone <snip>"

Texas solution : 12 gauge shot gun.....one shot.....one less drone on your property.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's a disquise that would be fun to wear to some overwrought political demonstration

All you have to do is wear a black suit, white shirt and dark tie with sunglasses. Then periodically talk into your sleeve.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks for this link. I am going to look into getting one of these. I have a birthday coming up the end of next month and I already dropped a hint with SGSpouse that this would be a birthday gift we would both enjoy.

It would be ideal to take photos of archaeological sites and features. Over the years of doing archaeology site mapping and documentation, I have often wished I could get a good overhead shot of the terrain including walls and rubble. Google earth provides some help for really large features, but doesn't really offer enough resolution for most ruins.

I looked into helium balloons and kites, but none of them came with a miniature camera and wireless link. An electronics vendor that I know actually gave me a remote control helicopter, but it is way too light and fragile and would not be able to lift off with even the lightest of cameras. Plus, it was really difficult to fly with even the mildest of winds. I could probably have shopped long enough to get all the pieces I needed to make it work together as a unit, but it would have been clunky at best and also pretty expensive and unwieldy. It looks to me like I could put this thing along with a tablet into a sturdy case in my backpack and take it anywhere. I have an Android tablet (also given to me) that I never use, so all I would have to do is download the software.

Woohooo. And it looks like their is a bonus I hadn't thought about. I will be able to peer into my neighbors windows. :-)
Glad I could help you with your archaeology work AND spy on your neighbors.

The question is, if people start buying these could they arm them? I can just see American land disputes (or any dispute for that matter) being settled with drone wars.
lindytoes asks,

The question is, if people start buying these could they arm them?

Depends on the armament. If you strapped an AR-15 to one of those little drones, the recoil would likely knock it out of the sky.

However, you probably could deliver a flaming bag of dog poo with a drone.

intercst
However, you probably could deliver a flaming bag of dog poo with a drone.

Actually, at this price I doubt even that would be possible. This was probably built to carry the amount of weight the unit actually weighs. strap more than 10% more weight to it, and it would be impossible to lift off or navigate.

However, for 5x or 10x more money, flaming dog poo definitely becomes a possibility.

With virtually anyone able to take a photo and post it on Facebook, cameras for traffic control and safety surveillance everywhere, drones on the horizon, the whole concept of privacy in America is changing dramatically.
Hey, Tele wears that when posting! B^)