No. of Recommendations: 0
I ordered a G4 the day before retailers were going to change their pricing b/c Mac announced a shortage. I think that was over 2 months ago now. I got it through a retailer I found on Yahoo. Well, as of today, the computer is still backordered, but I have already been charged on my credit card. I called and complained and was told they would "look into it" and return my call within 24 hours. I also called my credit card company and told them about the situation; they are sending forms. Is this illegal? I personally think that I don't have to pay for something until the day it has been shipped, especially since I'm not sure I'm going to get the same configs I ordered at the price I was charged.
Another question that's brewing now is how is a site's privacy track-record a reflection of their trustworthiness? I have this browser add-on from enonymous.com on my work PC. It rates Yahoo pretty low on privacy. But I have not had any problems with purchases I've made through them before, and I generally think they are reliable and trustworthy.
So let me summarize my many questions here,
Is charging a credit card before shipping the item illegal?
If so, who holds responsibility most, my CC company, Yahoo, or the Yahoo partner retailer?
How is a site's privacy rating indicative of its business practices?
Also, is there a place to go to see public opinion of a site before I buy from it?

Thanks for bearing with my long post.

JIM
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.