Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
My observation, why not apply the same standards to TIRA contributions and, for that matter, estimated tax payments. Make them all payable in the year in which they apply. Certainly everyone would need to plan ahead a bit more, but, hey, that's what is being advocated here.

This won't work because those who have irregular income flows or self-employment income don't know how much they can contribute or what their final estimated tax payment needs to be until after the end of the tax year.

Just live with the fact that you messed up and have a way to get relief from the consequences of your error.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.