Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My parents are in their seventies and until this year have enjoyed good health, however, this year my father has experienced some pretty serious medical problems. I'm pleased to say (at this time) he's stabilized to the point though that both my parents are now extremely concerned with protecting their assets should one not be able to care for the other and have to seek outside assistance or even a resthome situation. I am an only child and live some distance therefore I am unable to assist them as would be necessary if/when things get worse.
Their assets are fairly sizeable and basically live off interest from bonds, mutual funds, and rent from a business building they lease.They also own a couple of houses and a few acres of land. In any case, I'm wondering if anyone out there might have had experience with this kind of situation and throw some bread on the water! I'ts a shame when people work hard their whole lives and then not only have to deal with advancing age (health problems), but worry how to keep the buzzards off the fence waiting to take everything should they require long-term care. They belong to an HMO and aside from the standard complaints, has saved them in this regard, yet Long-Term Care insurance may be cost prohibitive. Their looking into it, but indicate this prospect is not looking favorable at this juncture! What would a FOOL do?
I would be grateful for any thoughts/feelings you may have!

Thank you very much.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.