Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My plan is to use conversion from IRA to Roth, then let the $ sit for 5 years and withdraw penalty free. Each year you do a conversion and pay the taxes, that starts a new 5 year clock. At the end of the 5 years, you can withdraw penalty/tax free from the Roth. (Its a contribution at that point)

That does require you have 5 years of expenses saved in some other taxable account. (first 5 years of retirement you can't touch your IRA money) I think this is a "safer" plan because you can always stop the conversions or adjust if things change. I have about 7 years of buffer space in my taxable accounts so that should be enough to "adjust" things with the 5 year delays...

Thats my current plan instead of a 72t... thoughts?

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.