Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 56
Hi, and welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) post for the My Portfolio feature. If you are having trouble using My Portfolio, please read the questions and answers below. There's a good chance you'll find the answer there (OK, maybe not a good chance, but a chance anyway).

If you don't find the answers you're looking for, or to report a malfunction or other problem, just click on the Post New link above, type a brief description of your question in the Subject box, and type the full question in the large text box below it. (Do not click on the Post Reply link, or post in all caps, as this annoys the semi-friendly My Portfolio Experts who are at this very moment waiting to help.) After you type your question, click the Preview Message button, and if everything looks OK, click on “Yes, Submit Message” to post your question. You can post your notes of gushing praise using this same method, too!

General concerns:

Why can't I get a quote on my Canadian stock?
We presently handle only US stocks at www.fool.com, UK stocks at www.fool.co.uk, and German stocks at www.fool.de. We do get a lot of requests to add the Canadian exchanges, and we're hoping to add them soon.

I entered a “buy” today, and the daily change numbers are wrong. Why?
The daily change numbers show the change from yesterday's closing price to the latest available quote. On the day you made your purchase, yesterday's closing price is not particularly relevant, since it's from before you owned the stock. If you switch to one of the Long-Term views, you'll see the change since your purchase. Tomorrow, you can go back to the Daily views if you like, and they will make more sense to you.

Why do I get the “Create Portfolio for (username)” page when I want to see my portfolio?
There's probably a problem with one of the servers. When it can't retrieve any of your portfolios, the server assumes you don't have any portfolios and therefore probably want to create one. Just wait a while and try it again. If you wait about 3.06 seconds, the server should be back to normal again (OK, it may take longer than that!).

Why are some ticker symbols green and others blue?
Actually, your browser is doing that. Links you haven't clicked on are blue, and links you have clicked on are green (your color scheme may vary). The ticker symbol is a link to the company information page for that stock.

How secure is My Portfolio?
Your information stored in the My Portfolio area is secured by your user name and password. When you log into Fool.com, you are also logging into the My Portfolio area at the same time. If you are using a public computer, or share a computer with others, please be sure to click on the “Logout” tab and close all browser windows to prevent others from accessing your portfolio information.

I'm using WebTV and cannot seem to access the My Portfolio area. Is there a problem?
At this time, WebTV browsers do not support all of the functionality in My Portfolio. We will be keeping an eye on WebTV upgrades and make My Portfolio accessible as soon as the functionality is supported.

What types of investments are allowed?
We currently only support stocks/funds traded on major US exchanges on www.fool.com. These include the NYSE, the NASDAQ, and AMEX. You can usually get a quote on OTC:BB stocks, but our support is limited. We do not support quotes on pink sheet stocks, options, foreign exchanges, bonds, or stocks trading on CUSIP numbers.

Creating and editing portfolios
Want to know how to get started? Add more portfolios? Make modifications to your portfolios? This post explains it all!

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13275258

Viewing portfolios and Customizing Views
You can display your portfolios any way you like by creating your own custom “view”. You can even create several different views, so you can see your portfolios with different information.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13275270

What do all of these columns mean?
There are several columns to choose from when you are creating custom views. Which ones are right for you?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13275277

Updated 9/9/00
TMF Dawn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.