Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My problem with abortion is where do we draw the line.

That's the WHOLE problem.

Conception?

That's where the one extreme wants the line drawn.

When it starts to come out of the womb/When the umbilical cord is cut?

That's the other extremity.

Personally, I wish we as Americans could make some reasonable comprimise on this, and move on to other more important issues.

Personally, I think a majority of Americans would probably agree with you. In my view, BOTH extreme positions are wrong, but they get all the attention due to the nature of media and reporting. And neither extremity is willing to compromise, because they see any compromise as the first step toward the opposition gaining ultimate victory on the issue.

If you ask me, a fetus is a fetus (and abortable) up to that point at which it is sufficiently developed that its probability for survival outside the womb without medical intervention is >50%. (A Viable Life, if you will). After that, it should only be abortable due to special circumstances (late-term complications that threaten the mother's life, for example). Seems to me that's calling a fetus a fetus, and a baby a baby, with reason rather than individual ideology as the basis. I'm guessing that the line I've described would fall in the 5-6 month range, but I'm no expert. But the battle in a country founded on the concept of individual liberty should be about whether the line should be at 5 months or 7, and not about whether we are going to adhere to either extremist position. But the fringes will continue to drive the debate.

On a loosely related note, I also think that all sex before 18 years old should be outlawed on the basis that sex is among the most adult of all decisions with the potentially serious consequences.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.