Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
My question about the Japanese shipments is: Will this make next quarter look better than it actually is? If so, might we set a sell limit order to cash in on overexuberance after the numbers come out?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'making next quarter look better than it actually is'.

Do you mean making next quarter the same year-ago quarter? If so, I think the answer is 'yes'. Here's what the company had to say in the release:

...shipments will be concentrated in the March quarter this fiscal year, versus the December quarter last fiscal year. This change in timing better aligns product shipments with the peak seasonality of consumer purchases in Japan. Consumer purchases overall remained strong in CNS' international markets, including Japan.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040122/cgth063_1.html

You can use a sell limit to try to capture exhuberance if you want to, but I won't personally be doing so. First, this impact will be fully anticipated - so the market should price it in ahead of time. Now, the market can be irrational at times, so I can't say for sure, but I would think that it shouldn't contribute to any kind of big jump in share price when the numbers are released next quarter.

A lot of people use sell stops and sell limits, and there are a lot of good reasons to do so. That said, I personally do not. When a release comes out, I want to have the time to at least read it, sort out what it means, see if there are any surprises (good or bad) and make an informed decision whether or not selling at a particular price is a good or bad idea. With a sell limit, I am making the decision as to what price I'll accept in advance of reading the release. In my view, this isn't the most well-informed decision I could make, so I don't make it. Again, there are a lot of good reasons to use such orders so I am not being at all critical of anyone who does. This is simply how I approach that question, and what works for me personally.

Regards,

Eldrehad

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.