Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My question is: can I simply write a personal check with say, $150,000 USD for the down payment from my checking account?

Probably not, but it has nothing to do with tax law. Rather, I think transfer of funds out of the country is more complicated than that. When I was administering an estate that had foreign legatees we had to do conversions to checks issued in the foreign currency. At the amount you mention I think there is also some reporting to Treasury about the movement of funds. In any event, your banker can advise you on process and required reporting.

As for the tax law end, make sure you keep a record of the USD amount you paid for the property. You'll need that should you sell sometime down the road. There are no special restrictions on mortgage interest and real estate taxes just because the property is out of the US. You just need to do currency conversions.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.