Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My question is do I need to report this anywhere in the tax forms?

No. Roth contributions are not reported on your tax return.

Also do I need to tell my brokerage or the IRS that my contributions now are for 2006 and NOT 2007? Or is it automatically figured out by the IRS?

Yes and no, respectively.

You absolutely MUST tell your brokerage what year you are contributing for. They eventually report that contribution to the IRS (and you) on form 5498. On that form, they will report what year the contributions are for. And they will likely report it as a 2007 contribution unless you tell them it's for 2006.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.