Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My question is i bought stock on a payroll deduction for 3 years while i was working for cracker barrel Resturant. I sold it since II no longer work for the company.Now I bought it at differnt prices I'm sure thru the past three years how would i claim the gain or loss.

Check out the instructions for Schedule D of the 1040. That's where you report stock sales. You'll only have to group your shares into those held more than a year and the others. You'll show your purchase date as "various" and lump your purchase and sale prices together for the short-term and the long-term shares.

Also i asked for my 401k to be sent to me to.Got money for that but taxes were withheld on that how do I claim them on my tax form.

You should have received a 1099-R for the distribution. The gross amount of the distribution goes on line 16b of the 1040, 10% of the gross goes on line 54, and any withholding goes on line 58.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.