Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My question: Is it correct that as long as my brother is receiving his NY pension that he has to complete the NY Non-Resident or Part-Year Resident Form (Form IT-203)?

No. The Feds had to crack down on states that were trying to do this several years ago. (NY and CA were two of the biggest offenders.)

Retirement income is taxable in the state of residence, not in the state where the retirement was earned.

I would amend any open years with NY and remove the pension as taxable to NY. This might also entail amending the VA returns if he claimed a credit for taxes paid to NY. NY tax rates are pretty high, so the refund from NY should be larger than the additional taxes to VA. But I wouldn't expect there to be a large difference.

And for 2006 and forward, no NY return should be needed unless he moves back to NY.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.