Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My question is just what recordkeeping is necessary to keep track of that? Is there anything filed with my tax return that reflects that $600? Or is the paperwork entirely within the domain of the 401k administrator?

For the after-tax contributions that I did into my former 401(k), the administrator kept track of everything, and when I rolled it over, separated the after-tax contributions out. The 1099-R that I got when I did the rollover documented everything.

Also, while I was still in the plan, I think my statements designated after-tax contributions in a separate area.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.