Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My question is this - where do I start learning how to do this myself? As Suze says, if you want a good investor, look in the mirror and trust yourself. I'm a control freak, but I'd find it easier to trust myself if I knew what the hell I was doing! I have no idea how to take the first step, and I don't want to screw this up. Should I see someone else?

And what percentages of the 80K I have left should go where. 50% in bonds and CD's, 50% in stocks? More in CD's at first and gradually increase it? I'm really flummoxed....help...

Dear Zoe2k,

You have received a myriad of excellent replies, and I don't have too much more to add, although I would suggest our 13 Steps to Investing Foolishly as a starting point. Here's a link:

http://www.fool.com/school/13steps/13steps.htm?ref=SchAg

I also wanted to let you know that we have a new service coming very soon that will be able to help you answer all these questions. If you click on the 'TMF Money Advisor' tab at the top of the screen, you'll be able to leave your email address so that you'll be one of the first to try it out. If you would rather have a link, here it is:

http://www.fool.com/landing/ma/preview.htm

Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen

Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.