Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
My question is...in the event that my earned income is less than the $18k Max allowed employee contribution, can I even contribute that amount or am I strictly reduced to only being able to contribute a percentage of my earnings after I figure out what it is end of year.

What year are you asking about? The 401(k) contribution limit for employee deferrals hasn't been $18k since 2017. In 2018, the limit was $18.5k and this year (2019), it's $19k. However, you should have long since made your 2017 and 2018 contributions, so, I'm confused about what year you are asking about.

That said, if your earned income is less than the limit, the amount that you can contribute to the 401(k) plan must be adjusted for self-employment taxes, so it will be less than your total earned income. Fidelity has a calculator here https://scs.fidelity.com/products/mobile/sepMobile.shtml that can help you figure out how much can be contributed.

What if I have a net loss?

No profit, no contribution. Also, no self-employment taxes.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.