Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My question would be do those bond tax rules (i.e. accrued market discount or amortization of bond premium etc.) apply to other income instruments like a preferred stock.

The answer is - it depends.

In general, when you sell a preferred stock for more than you purchased it for, or it's redeemed for more than you paid for it, the gain treated as a capital gain, not as interest. Selling/redeeming for less would generally be a capital loss.

That said, there are so many different capital structures for preferred stocks that you need to understand the tax treatment for each one you own, as it may be different. For instance, there are some preferred stocks that are subject to OID (Original Issue Discount), which could have an impact on how some/all of the gain/loss is treated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.