Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I wanna be a writer. I am taking workshops now to work on this, but what I really want to do is make it a full-time vocation. This would be one of those 'work that doesn't feel like work' situations.

I lived in Korea (not military) for 4 years and filled at least 20 notebooks with journals and other musings. I have taken a lot of it and made it quasi fiction-memoir-ish.

Ultimately I would like to return to living overseas and continue to write.

The only way I can accomplish this is to work on what I have and polish it up.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Dan,

Interesting. This is actually sort of a long term goal of mine as well. My grandfather made his living as a writer, writing over 90 books. It is a difficult business, from what I understand, but certainly gratifying. I don't know that I have any info for you with the exception of words of encouragement, but tell me, have you submitted anywhere? What type of writing do you want to do? Give me a little more info please.

-Gekko II
The only way I can accomplish this is to work on what I have and polish it up.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

The only idea that came to mind immediately is that you might want to start by preparing a few articles for for publication in periodicals. I'm not sure the topics you wish to write about, but I'm sure you can find a few magazines, newspapers, etc. that might be interested in your material. That way, you don't have to write a complete manuscript at the very beginning.

One piece of advice, don't be scared of rejection when you send these types of things in. There are countless stories of those who succeeded by perserverance.

Good Luck on your dream,

NukeJohn
Dan,

Let me echo what Nuke is saying. Rejection, in my mind, is the biggest hurdle to overcoming (with the exception of abject poverty). I have been lucky enough to have been published in newspapers, magazines, and scholarly journals. For all my publications (don't get me wrong, there aren't many), I have been rejected @ twice the rate. Ernest Hemmingway had the right attitude, he wallpapered his room with the rejection letters. I just keep mine in a file (the New Yorker rejection letters are my favorite. They are so trite.)

Have fun!

-Gekko II
Thanks, all.

I am not worried about rejection. Hell, I appeared on live TV in front of 20 million people...in a black leather coat...singing...in a foreign language. Embarassment? Hah! Shame? What's that? I laugh at thee!

A big hurdle for me is knowing where to submit. What magazines accept and how do I submit? I don't feel like subscribing to every magazine on the planet...any hints at that?

Good luck to you other writers too.

Dan
Check out Jimmy Buffett's books.

"Everybody talks about running with the ball, remember even though you get sh@t knocked out of you sometimes.
It's still alot of fun to run with the ball."

"As#@oles are born that way, they don't change."

buzman-note: The quotes may not be completely correct, but you get the drift.