No. of Recommendations: 11
Since this board is for readers (as opposed to the All Things Sci-Fi which is mostly for viewers), I'll post my review of the Amazon Kindle ebook reader, in case you are curious.

My review is similar to the thousands of reviews already there -- some of which are done by those who have never seen the product. Most all of them are positive. Mine is VERY positive.

But since I have mine sitting beside me right now, here's my review, and after that, the link to the Amazon Kindle site.

32 of 32 people found the following review helpful:
Kindle Glass 90% Full, 10% Empty, May 2, 2008

I'm in my 10th day with my Kindle (and I received it 12 days after ordering it). It's easy to operate, and does exactly what the Amazon advertising and the Jeff Bezos videos says it will do. For truth in advertising, and for the Kindle glass being 90% full, I give it 5 big stars.

First, about the "10% Empty" part of my title. (1) The on/off switch is on the back. I'm sure there is a good reason, but it escapes me. If you use your carrying case (which I do), you have to take it out each time to turn it on. (Next time put switch on the front). (2) The page buttons are too large. You can only hold the Kindle by the bottom 25% of the device, or else you'll be turning pages accidently. (Next time give us the bottom 40% to hold on to). (3) Screen is a bit too dark. If it were Microsoft, it might be called Gray-20% (Next time make it Gray-10%). (4) The holder is kinda cheesy. BUT, I give it a big thumbs up for being able to use it as a "ramp" to raise the back part of the reader when reading hands-free at a restaurant (And, it does protect the Kindle well).

Gee. It doesn't sound like I like the Kindle, does it?
But au contraire! All those little nit-picking problems have almost faded into nothingness, compared to the enjoyment and ease of use and all the great features. The Kindle will hold 200 books, and maybe 900 with a memory card. As for me, I have about 12 in there now.

Here is an example of the "90% full" from real-life:

Just today I went and had my car's oil changed, replaced two tires and got an alignment, and ate lunch at Chick-fil-A, all in all a 2 1/2 hour outing (or sitting and waiting).

During which time I read part of: (1) "A Year with C.S.Lewis" (the May 2nd daily entry), (2) 2 chapterettes from Richard Carlson's "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and it's all small stuff)" a very wise book, where warm fuzzies meets Proverbs. (3) A chapter in "The Narnian", the life of C.S.Lewis, (4) 5 pages in the "Kindle User's Guide", (6) 3 pages of "Say it in Spanish" (7) 3 chapterettes in "Dune: The Butlerian Jihad" (8) ESV Bible: some reading in Revelation, and (9) 3 chapters in Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture". If all this were in a back pack, they'd be calling a chiropractor for me. But since it was all in my Kindle, my back survives for another day.

And another example: I do a lot of reading in restaurants. Prior to the Kindle, it has not been an easy operation. In a pizza place, I usually would put the parmesan cheese shaker to hold down the left side of the book, and stuff the right side underneath the metal pizza tray. Hamburgers are no better. Ketchup bottle holding down the left side of the traditional book, sugar container on the right, both hands gripping the hamburger.

Well, you get the idea. Now, I just turn on the Kindle, ramp it up on its cover, and push a button to turn a page. And everything works as it is supposed to -- I've had no product failures at all.

Finally, should you wait for the next version, version 2 in a year to 18 months? Not to my thinking -- because the small aggravations fade as time goes on, but you'll never have the benefits NOW if you wait until THEN.
--------------------
Well, that's the review, and I feel even more strongly about the last sentence. However, you had better have more interests than just science fiction & fantasy, because those areas lag behind in books ready for Kindle. While there are about 120,000 books available for the Kindle, there are only 4,198 SF books and 2,339 Fantasy books available so far.

Here's the link to the Kindle Store --
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=133141011
and if you are interested, see Jeff Bezos' two videos, and some more of the reader's reviews. Books are $0.00 to about $16.00, but are generally $6.99 to $9.99.

Larry

P.S. This post looks peculiar in Preview mode -- it's centered on the center, not justified left. So, I'll hope for the best.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.