Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My sister-in-law took in my elderly father-in-law several years ago. Together they bought a modest house about two years ago. A year ago he took his name off the deed, so the house is now "hers."

Other facts: The house was bought mostly, but not exclusively with "his" money.

That transfer is a gift from father to daughter. I'm guessing that it exceeds the $13k limit for non-reportable gifts. If my guess is correct, a gift tax return is required.

... a question on the application is "In the last 60 months have you transferred significant assets to anyone?"

I would answer that question "yes".

Wait - you asked for an amateur legal opinion. That would require determining the definition of "significant assets". Depending on the definition of that term, you can then answer the question based on that definition.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.