Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My situation involves an honorarium for a lecture, given on a one time basis by a taxpayer with full time employment unrelated to lecturing. Under Rev. rule 77-356 it seems clear that this is not self employment income. IAW the instructions of Box 7 of form 1099-misc, on which the payer reported the honorarium, I called the IRS at their help line, and the IRS rep said to report the honorarium on line 21, other income, and to append a note explaining the situation to the return. She said that the note would protect me from a negligence penalty in case the IRS disagreed with me.
In paragraph 32,588.205 of CCH-Standard Federal Tax Reports, various fact situations are reported and it appears that it is very rare for income not to be self employment income.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.