Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
My son got married last year. I claimed him as a dependant. His wife was claimed by her parents. They are both college students. We did their taxes on TurboTax and filed their taxes via mail. Unfortunately, they filed married filing jointly. Nothing in TurboTax under who can file married filing jointly says anything about being a dependant.

That's because they have the absolute right to file a joint return, regardless of what someone else wants to do.

My son and his wife got a notice from the IRS that increased their refund from about $500 to $763. $763 is all that was withheld. My son made $12,500 last year, his wife nothing. The notice said that "You can't be claimed on another person's tax return if your filing status is Married Filing Jointly and you have a tax liability."

Not overly explanatory, but correct as far as it goes. The "unless" part is that the joint return doesn't matter if there would have been zero tax liability had they file separate returns. If they had filed separate returns your son would have had a tax liability.

I called the IRS, they said that you can not change from married filing jointly to married filing seperately after Apr 15.

Correct

Claiming my son saved me about $1500, including tuition credits. My daughter-in-laws parents also saved about $1500. I would guess that the IRS will want us to file amended returns without claiming them as dependants.

Correct

Any ideas? Can we tell the IRS to destroy my son's and DIL's tax return and return all of the $763. They were not required to file.

The only thing I can think you can do is amend your returns and pay up. Verse 256 of that classic "Get all the facts before you act."

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.