Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My son received form 1098-T, in box 2 Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses showing the amount of $x,xxx, is this including tuition only or also including books expenses? in box 5 Scholarships or grants showing the amount of $x,xxx, how can I report these two number in the tax form 1098-T? My son is in his first year college and I am claiming him as dependent.

Ignore Box 2 and work from his school record of account. For information on how it all fits together see Pub 970. If there's any taxable income resulting from the scholarship it goes on your son's return. If there's any deduction or credit it goes on your return.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.