Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My son (relatively new to filing his own taxes) just asked if he needed to bother with Schedule D since his only cap gain for all of 2012 was 10 cents as 'cash in lieu' from a stock split a few months ago (I think he has his dividends reinvested and the split didn't like the partial shares). Rounding to the nearest dollar is zero, but is it okay for him to just skip it? I would tend to tell him to ignore it, but he really is trying to be very careful and do everything correctly in the eyes of the IRS.


The IRS allows rounding figures to a whole dollar when more than 50 cents, rounding down when
less. 10 cents is a rounding error.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.