Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My son was recently before a judge (yesterday) and the judge ruled child support (till 18), alimony (8 months) and day care payments until the child begins to attend kindergarten. Is any of this tax deductible?

1. The child support is not income tax deductible as your son and his ex-wife both have a legal obligation to support his children.

2. The spousal support is income tax deductible to the payor (your son) and reportable as income to the payee (his ex-wife).

Whether the day care expenses are deductible depends on how the order is written and whether they are considered part of the child support payments. If they are considered as a child support payment, it is not considered tax deductible. However, I believe there may be some tax credits available for child care expenses, although I don't know what the limitations or qualifications are. I would have your son contact his accountant, or if he uses Quicken's TurboTax, I would have him look it up there or at the IRS web site (

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.