Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My suggestion for a Fool would be to roll the sum, trustee-to-trustee into a traditional IRA. This can be done without tax consequences....

The above and all that followed is sound advice. (I didn't want to recopy the whole post.) But there is one thing you should be aware of. If you tranfer the 401K from employer A to a Rollover IRA you cannot transfer it to employer B's (or C's or D's) 401K in the future. You can, as was mentioned in the earlier post, do a direct transfer from Company A's into Company B's. This is only important if employer B has a particuarly good plan or if they offer access to funds you could not otherwise get access to. For example, I worked for a large software firm (Company X) which had "Company X Stock Fund" in its 401K. This was a fund managed by Fidelity only for employees of Company X with the 401K. Having access to that stock fund is a good deal as far as I am concerned, so if I were going to work for Company X from another company, I would want to do a direct transfer to their 401K so I could invest in that fund. (Similarly, when I left Company X, I left the 401K intact because I wanted to continue to own Company X Stock Fund even though I cannot invest any new money in it.)

jtmitch
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.