Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Overall I thought it was a fine event. Some questions though....

Why was Susan Sarandon, Isabel Allende, and other non-Italian or Olympic related people bringing in the flag?

Did we really need Yoko Ono?

Am I the only one who thought Pavarotti's singing was lip synched?

Did Fiat kick in a few millions so we could watch one of their race cars speed around the stadium?

I did love the pagentry, the torch lighting, and the parade of nations. I even liked Bob Costas' snarky remarks. Really though, we didn't need Brian Williams there to point out obvious political issues.

Oh yes...Sophia Loren look fabulous as always!!!

Looking forward to the competition.

Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
Opening Ceremonies were very nice overall.

My favorite part is always the parade of nations, watching almost all 2,500 athletes walk in dressed in their team outfits is always fun. Of course I also had to cheer for the Jamaican bobsled team.

Team USA looked good, although my hubby didn't care for their hats. I liked how the women had one color, the men another, and the coaches were in white. Chris Witty carried in the US flag.

Things I loved about the ceremony:
The Beating heart and when they made the skiing guy! That was so cool! I thought the group that carried in the Olympic flag was very interesting. Quite an eclectic group of female activists.

Things I scratched my head about:
The cows that people were pulling around and the dancers dressed in cow print fabric!
The race car? I'm with Charlie there, money changed hands somewhere down the line. It could've been cooler if he'd left rubber in the shape of the Olympic rings.
Yoko Ono, hubby left the room because he thought they said she was going to sing.

=) Megan
The cows that people were pulling around and the dancers dressed in cow print fabric!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a collector of cow items, I found that fun.

:-)Charlie
No. of Recommendations: 1
As a collector of cow items

Yet another thing Charlie and I have in common!

My first word was cow and my dad always called me his little cowgirl, but in recent years everyone has started giving me cow things!

=) Megan
My first word was cow and my dad always called me his little cowgirl, but in recent years everyone has started giving me cow things!

========================================================================

Isn't it amazing just how many cow items are out there?

...we now take you back to Olympic talk...
Why was Susan Sarandon, Isabel Allende, and other non-Italian or Olympic related people bringing in the flag?

According to the commentators, the women each represented a continent plus the host country. It is not surprising there was an emphasis on peace given the Salt Lake games in 2002 were prior to the US invasion of Iraq, and that the 2004 Summer Games opening ceremonies were planned before a lot of the more controversial revelations had come to light.

Fuskie
Who thought he heard during the broadcast that Ferrari is based in Torino, which is why the car was included in the show...
Who thought he heard during the broadcast that Ferrari is based in Torino

Fiat!

That's why I think they paid a lot of money to the organizing committee to be in the show.

They represented women from all Continents and culture.

Did we really need Yoko Ono?

Do we ever? She introduced a little ditty that her dead husband wrote. Which by the way was sung by Peter Gabriel. Interesting combination.

Did Fiat kick in a few millions so we could watch one of their race cars speed around the stadium?

Most certainly a FERRARI. Which is one of the most identifiable icons of Italy after those straw covered Chianti bottles.

Oh yes...Sophia Loren look fabulous as always!!!

As always!

bigpix
Do we ever?

No. And that has nothing to do with the song.
I don't know why I am asking you this but, what does that mean?

Didn't she read a poem first?

bigpix
It means that I have no problem with Imagine being sung, but I don't think we ever need to see Yoko. Ever.
Good to see us agree on something today.

I see her at events now and then in NYC and always ask WHY?

bigpix