Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time, and I don't wish to cause you further alarm, but I would ponder these points:

1. If there are visitors to the house and drugs or prostitution is present, this can put your grandmother in GRAVE danger. If a 'visitor' believes she may have money or valuables, this would certainly give them a motive to come back later to rob or do worse damage. If drugs are being used, what would stop someone on a binge from causing her harm? Drug addicts are likely to commit crimes to support their habit.

2. A new will would most likely be invalidated by your grandmother's present medical condition. If it's been known for some time she suffers from dimentia, then anything signed by her after this diagnosis would unlikely hold up in court. (Unfortunately, it would take court action by one of the parties to bring this forth.)

I would use whatever resources I had available at my disposal to remove the adult children from her residence and bar them from returning. This would most likely take a restraining order. It would be imperative for your grandmother to be evaluated away from the children, so they cannot influence the findings. If you can figure out a way to drug-test the one you think is using, I would do that as well; this would certainly give you more ammunition if necessary.

Can you hire a neighbor or private detective to watch her house for a week or so, observing activities from outside, while taking notes and/or photos? License plate numbers can be tracked to find out what kind of people are frequenting the premises. This is the kind of information you'll need to get law enforcement involved. The more ammo the better, if helping your grandmother is the ultimate goal.

My guess is the the adult children will use her for as long as they can, then discard her. (I don't say this lightly, but can't say it any nicer.)

I second the advice to seek the input of an elder-law attorney; he or she can enlighten you to what rights she has that may be compromised right now. Don't wait until something catastrophic happens... you won't be able to change the past, but you can do something now to protect her present and future.

MadamHusker 1

~ Not unfamiliar with family problems.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.