No. of Recommendations: 0
My trip to Australia was too long ago (Feb '97) to be much use in terms of costs, but I want to let you know that I thought Sydney was a fascinating city. I was there for a week and easily could have spent longer. I particularly enjoyed the aquarium where I got a closer view of sharks than I was viscerally comfortable with. (They have one of those "tubes through the water" things, so you are literally surrounded by sharks - looking up into some gaping mouths with VERY large teeth!)

Within the city, I had a SydneyCard or some such thing that meant I could hop on and off of buses at will. Never needed a cab.

I then flew to Melbourne for 2 weeks to visit friends, but was more focused on hanging out with them than really being a tourist in the city. I remember a gorgeous botanical garden (VERY much worth it!), taking a boat trip to see some penguins (not really worth it), a pretty cool art museum, lots of good beaches and good food.

(Although I DID have a moment of consternation at one restaurant... I had been taking wine classes prior to the trip, but suddenly found myself wondering what DOES one drink when eating crocodile? :-D)

Mostly my memories of Australia are of really friendly people and a wonderful laid back approach to life.

The one thing I found difficult was getting back onto a regular sleep schedule upon my return... I had been gone a month (3 weeks in Aus; 1 week in Japan) and it felt as though it took AGES to get over jetlag when I returned home.

Kas
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.