Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
I believe in the following attributes:

1) a $100-$200 billion market cap provides less-than-optimal capital appreciation simply due to the size. A large market cap company should provide a dividend of some type (msft, brk.a have their own rationale -- but investors deserve compensation from earnings - imo).

2) Quality management. (MSO, ENE's management teams are examples of people I don't want to associate with in my investments or in my personal life for that matter).

3) A company with an excellent balance sheet and cash flow flow statement: preferrably no debt, ROE of 15% over an extended period of time, stock buybacks, increasing dividends annually if earnings support the increase.

4) A business model that I can understand without reading a 50-page disertation on why the company won't be roadkill when a better mousetrap is invented.

5) A business model that can withstand difficult economic conditions and management owns a significant stake in the firm.

6) My goal is to hold a position for a significant amount of time -- trading when 1-5 conditions -- stated above -- change. I want to be able to go on a 2-week vacation without worrying about a Martha Stewart being indicted for insider trading, cash earnings being nonexistent a la ENE, or a SEC investigation is ongoing and the stock is currently halted!

I will try to post my thoughts on individual firms! I look forward to everyone's thoughts and inputs.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.