Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Well, I posted this post on the MCOM board and would also like to hear from the Fools of the wireless world. Thanks. >>

Howdy Fellow Ricochet Investing Fools,

Well first off I'd like to say hello to all the "wireless" Fools on this board. I've been lurking around for a couple of months checking back every now and then so I am really not a "new" Fool in actuality. (Just changed my name.)

After doing some research, requesting an investor packet from Metricom, and reading a couple of posts from this board as well as other investor sites, I had a couple of nagging questions if you will about Metricom:

1.)After finding out that Metricom has approximately 30,000 current Ricochet users in its 7-8 yrs. of existence(please correct me if I am off in my numbers), I came to question how in the world will Metricom be able to acquire their estimates of having nearly 2 Million Ricochet(2) users by the year 2002?

It seems to me that in order for them to reach their estimates, they must complete their entire plan of having nationwide access in 50 major metropolitan areas by their deadline and in doing so must hope that the Ricochet(2) will gather enough interests from mostly business users who I believe use the service the most. Seems like its gonna be an extremely busy 2-3 years ahead for Metricom don't you think? I'm not saying at all that this is not possible but the numbers seem a little optimistic. Geez, I mean ATHM has around 500,000 current users and it expects to have atleast 4-5 million users by 2003 and its network is already up and running while Metricom is still building theirs.

2.)Much publication has been made about the 600 million investment MCI Worldcom has made towards Metricom but I question if Metricom will ever produce the profits needed to repay the loan given to them along with the additional funding estimated at 400 million needed to build out its Ricochet(2)network. Looking at the 10K reports for Metricom for the last few years, one can see that the company is really losing $$$$. I don't know if Metricom will be able to post profits instead of losses each time the company posts its numbers. Could it be that the reason Metricom is losing so much is because of its efforts to establish its network?

3.)Although Metricom's current major competition I believe is Cellular Digital Packet Data(CDPD), what other wireless technology out there (if any) has the
capability to compete with the Ricochet(2) technology? Right now, I believe that digital voice PCS service is offered using CDMA or TDMA technology at 14.4kbps on a per minute basis but speeds could increase with the management of PCS spectrum. I am not really up to date on other wireless technology but is there products offered by major wireless companies such as Nokia and QCOM or other wireless companies that compete with the Richochet?

Other factors that could slow the market acceptance of Ricochet may be the reduction in the price of wired high speed cable internet connections or the price of DSL lines that are offered by a number of ISP carriers. I believe that the dramatic price drops in basic telephone internet connection could ultimately be the most damaging for Metricom.

Investing in Metricom I believe is really an act of faith like David Gardner has said. This baby could be atleast a 10 bagger or it could also be a dud full of hype. My prediction: Given time, Metricom investors just may be able to see those green numbers on the days Metricom posts their numbers. I too am very interested in this Ricochet technology and will be closely monitoring Metricom in the coming months. (Hopefully to become a future shareholder before all shares are gone.) Good luck and best wishes to you all.

Ray

BTW, I know my username Mello is spelled incorrectly.My apologies if there are more spelling errors in this post. All I have to say is GRRRRR to the Fool who had registered before me to use the name MellowYellow only to never post. ;^(
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.