No. of Recommendations: 34
My visit to Fool HQ Part II

Part I of this story can be found in the Improve the Fool board:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17324036

It's interesting the way this internet thing works out. Here are people who I have corresponded in one way or another for more than a year, in some cases a couple of years, and now they become 3 dimensional to you. Yeah, you know they are smart and can write and somewhere back there you know they are people just like you, but there's nothing like that physical presence to bring some things to life. You really miss the expressions and body language cues that make things real.

TMFKGOMalley (Keith), TMFBFrosted (Betsy), my wife Lisa and I all went out to lunch. We chose a Lebanese restaurant a block away. Good food and good company, it was fun to dig into people's backgrounds and then see what they really thought about things. I did find out that TMF has been flirting with the idea of an Investors Business Daily CANSLIM seminar, but then the problem becomes how to deal with technical analysis, tricky stuff for people who have swept it under the rug, but really the more we discussed it the more reasonable it became. All you have to do is set your parameters and goals and to keep it simple.

TMFOtter (Bill) and TMFTom9 (Tom Jacobs) joined us toward the end of our lunch. I've exchanged many e-mails with Bill's Dad (OtterPater) since we both hung out on Rat's board. I've always admired Bill's writing style and his ideas. Both of us commiserated on the dumb mistakes we made during the bubble stock craze and talked about valuation ideas for the selling seminar that he'll be co-writing. Tom was great to talk to, very down to earth and funny. It's too bad he came in so late during our lunch, we probably could've talked for hours, but alas even in an internet company work beckons and we all had to say our goodbyes.

After my tour and chats with TMF staff I got the distinct impression that TMF as a whole is in good hands. I was very impressed by the caliber of people working there, and although success is not assured I got the sense that everybody was very earnest and that they really loved what they were doing. I wonder how many other people can say the same about their jobs.

I took a few pictures that I want to share with all of you.

The photos can be found here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/xerohype
go to the TMF folder and you'll see 3 photos.

The first one has the following people from left to right inside TMFHQ:
TMFBogey, myself, TMFKGOMalley (hiding behind us), TMFOtter and TMFOrangeblood

The second one has TMFOtter, myself and TMFTom9 standing in front of the restaurant.

The third pic has me in between the two famous Gardner brothers.

Hope you enjoyed my real life adventure tale.

As gratitude for all the kindness they showed me I am adding the following TMFers to my Favorite Fools list:
TMFOtter
TMFOrangeblood
TMFSelena
I think all the others are already in Favorite Fools list.

Thanks for the great tour!

-xerohype

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.